This page has a different format from the other site pages and has hardly any adverts. You can view all pages on the entire site like this when you donate £5/$8 (English GBP/US Dollars) or more (on both www.easy2boot.com and www.rmprepusb.com sites). You can read and subscribe to my blog here.

E2B Users Forum

New! E2B eBooks are now available (eBook #1 contains instructions on how to remove the blue-screen startup banner).

If you would like help from me (Steve Si) or other E2B users, or would like to offer help and advice to others, please post here.

You will need to check this page regularly for replies or add this page's URL to a page change ch ecker.

Alternatively, post on the Easy2Boot discussion page on reboot.pro here - register and subscribe to any threads that interest you or post a new topic.

You can use the Chat\Live Help facility - if I am online, I will respond within a minute or so (if I am away from my desk, leave your email address and I will email you). For 1-to-1 email communication, use the Contact Me form and I will reply via email.

To post to this Forum, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'New comment' (use English please).

Also, you can read and subscribe to my blog here.

Topic: Easy2Boot

Date 07/09/2018

By Visolo

Subject Multiple backgrounds and/or Stamps (v1.A1+)

Hi.
It seems that this manual don´t work with new submenu folders created with SUB_MENU_Maker.cmd.
I can´t set a personal background to this folders. I copy it to _ISO folder with the same name that the folder and don´t work. It seems that .g4b files don´t work too.
The normal folders works OK, but created don´t.

Date 07/09/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Multiple backgrounds and/or Stamps (v1.A1+)

Sorry, it's a bug in the SubMenu Maker script.
Ensure that there is no space character at the end of the set MFOLDER= line in the .mnu file.
I will fix in 1.A2 v. soon!

Date 07/09/2018

By Visolo

Subject Re: Re: Multiple backgrounds and/or Stamps (v1.A1+)

Working great in E2B v1.A2a Beta. Thanks for your work.

Date 27/08/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Grub2 menu system - no ISOs listed?

If you have tried the grub2 menu system, and could not get any ISOs to be listed in the menu, this issue should now be fixed with the new Beta9 version.

Date 19/08/2018

By Eduardo H. Mertz

Subject NO FUNCIONA EN SSD 120GB EN USB PERFECTO

Buenas noches, he probado E2B en USB 32Gb y funciona de lo mejor,sin embargo trate de hacer lo mismo en SSD 120Gb pero no funciona correctamente, por ejemplo cuando voy a formatear win7 no encuentra los controladores del HDD que se va a formatear, o cuando booting HirenBoot15CD no funciona todas las opciones, espero puedan ayudarme, Gracias!

Good evening, I tested E2B on USB 32Gb and it works best, however try to do the same in SSD 120Gb but it does not work properly, for example when I go to format win7 it does not find the drivers of the HDD that is going to be formatted, or when booting HirenBoot15CD does not work all the options, I hope you can help me, Thanks!

Date 19/08/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: NO FUNCIONA EN SSD 120GB EN USB PERFECTO

http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/how-to-make-a-helper-usb-flash-drive/
http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/hirens-isos/

Date 23/04/2018

By BrianB

Subject Grub menu password

The default password of "easy2boot" does not work. I have tried adding "set psw=" to my MyE2B.cfg. Problem is if I set the password to whatever, it doesn't work...same for an md5 hash. Simply states Failed and restarts the menu. Now if I leave the "set psw=" blank to remove the password, it works and I am able to access the grub console. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Date 23/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Grub menu password

Hi
You should be setting pwd not psw and it is grub4dos not grub!
e.g.
set pwd=fred
Are you using a standard QWERTY keyboard?
If not, have you set the KBD type - as in Sample_MyE2B.cfg
# ---- KEYBOARD TYPE -----
#set which keyboard you are using (use one only!) - see the KBD_xxxx.g4b files in the grub folder if you want to modify the key mapping
#Note: Passwords may not work properly if the keyboard scan code mapping is not correct! Default = US keyboard
###set KBD=KBD_AZERTY.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_FRENCH.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_GERMAN.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_ITALIANO.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_JAPAN_106.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_QWERTY_UK.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_QWERTZ.g4b
###set KBD=KBD_SPANISH.G4B

Date 23/04/2018

By BrianB

Subject Re: Re: Grub menu password

psw was a typing error. I am using US azerty keyboard. As I said, set pwd= works without a password but not with one...either text or md5

Date 24/04/2018

By Brian

Subject Re: Re: Re: Grub menu password

disregard...I thought the first choice for keyboard layout was US. My bad.

Date 24/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Grub menu password

To make it work for both QWERTY and AZERTY do not use letter keys, a q w m or z in the password (and avoid numbers and special characters too!).

Date 11/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

It's not the end of the world but I have tried to put in my default wallpaper to E2B. I tried both jpeg's and bitmaps, uncompressed, not progressive, 800x600 and 1024x768 and each and every file is rejected for being the wrong size, where a size is displayed that is not that of the image. Even Sample_MyBackground.jpg is rejected as being 640x480.

Version of E2B is the current download.

Date 11/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

You mean rejected by E2B_Editor or rejected by E2B?
The sample file should work. Maybe you have strange DPI setting or some other OS display setting different from normal systems.
Can you try on a different system?
Have you actually booted to E2B using one of the graphics files?
If still no luck, enter Chat session with me.

Date 12/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

Thanks for the reply. E2B_Editor rejects the files for being faulty dimensioned. And yes I have booted them all and none of them shows up. Will try another system but if even Sample_MyBackground.jpg is rejected I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my OS or DPI.

Date 12/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

Well the sample file works for me on three different Windows systems and no one else has mentioned it (well over 500,000 downloads). So it seems that there is something different about your system? If you still have problems, give details of your system OS and display.

Date 13/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

Thanks again for the reply. I have now tried it in Windows 10 Pro/UK/64. My preferred imaged is accepted, but still does not show up when the stick is booted. It is visible in the editor. In the MyE2B.cfg I see no reference to any background image. Yes, I did click Save cfg file.

MyE2B.cfg:

!BAT
# See \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg for many more settings
if "%LANG%"=="" set LANG=ENG
set KBD=
# ---- ADVANCED MENU SETTINGS -----
set EXTOFF=1
# This drive is the removable type - so don't look for a WINHELPER USB Flash drive
set NOHELPER=1
set ANIMFD3=/_ISO/docs/Templates/Animate/E2B_GIF.ima
set ANIMATE=0x90=3=9=615=160 (fd3)/frame_0001.bmp
set STAMP1=0x80=570=23 /_ISO/e2b/grub/E2BPlate.bmp

Date 13/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

If it is not in the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file on the USB drive, then of course it wont be loaded by E2B.
Try this
1. Run \_ISO\E2B_editor.exe
2. Load the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg
3. Load the Sample_MyBackground.jpg
4. Click on 'Save config' button
5. Click Yes so file is saved as MyE2B.cfg - click OK if warned about Advanced Menu settings
6. Notepad should run and load the MyE2B.cfg file for you to see or edit. First lines should be:
!BAT
#Generated by E2B_Editor

set GMODE=800
set MYWBMP=/_ISO/Sample_MyBackground.jpg
#MENU

Date 13/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

That did the trick! Once set MYWBMP=/_ISO/Sample_MyBackground.jpg was in the config I simply changed it with the filename of my preferred background and finally it showed up.

I tested it on a system with disconnected drives, and got a rather penetrating magenta message immediately after booting about missing drives. I ticked no error messages but that didn't remove it.

And can I get rid of the spinning E2B logo? It looks nineties and cheap, and is in the wrong place covering my background. E2B deserves a better logo imho.

So far I loaded a couple of Linux ISO's in E2B and it actually works to boot them. This is the very 1st multi USB boot I ever got to work properly, well done to you!

Date 13/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

The warning message just warns you that there is no internal hard disk in the system. I do not recommend suppressing messages until you become experienced in E2B - the messages help you to get it to work properly!
If the system you use to boot E2B from has a hard disk, you won't see it.
The spinning logo animation is determined by the MyE2B.cfg file - see the set ANIMATE line?
Just comment it out. There is plenty of info on the E2B site - use the SITE MAP to find the relevant page.
What is the filename of your background file?

Date 14/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

Thanks again, also for pointing me to the site map. I see there is more into E2B than 1st meets the eye!
The exact image I use is here: ibb.co/ekCNbn

Date 14/04/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

I downloaded it to the \_ISO folder and it loaded fine in the E2B_Editor! Then saved the MyE2B.cfg file and it worked fine when booted. So not sure why it does not work for you???

Date 14/04/2018

By Rick Vansloneker

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: correct sized uncompressed wallpaper not accepted

Correction: why it didn't work.
Me dunno either, but at least now it works!

Date 08/03/2018

By dexter

Subject RMPrepUSB: mke2fs command failed

Hi.
Here Win8.1pro 64bit, E2B usb drive (Easy2Boot v1.97A) and RMPrepUSB v2.1.741 portable ("run as administrator").
I'm trying to make a persistence drweb iso (btw, there isn't any DrWeb900_Persistent.mnu persistence file in Sample mnu Files folder).
Iso file: drweb-livedisk-900-cd.isopersist
In RMPrepUSB v2.1.741, click on "Create "Ext2/3/4 FS":
-----------------------
1- "Create Ext filesystem" window ("i:" is my e2b usb drive):
Create a file of 1000MB on volume i:
fsutil.exe file createnew "i:\drweb-livedisk-900-cd-rw" 1000000000
-----------------------
Click on "OK".
2- "Convert to Ext filesystem" window:
Convert file \drweb-livedisk-900-cd-rw to an ext3 filesystem of 1000MB on volume i:
mke2fs.exe -F -L casper-rw -t ext3 "i:\drweb-livedisk-900-cd-rw"
-----------------------
Click on "OK" but then it throws a RMPrepUSB error:
"ERROR: mke2fs command failed (see mke2fs.log for details)"
By the way, I didn't find any mke2fs.log file.
Thanks.

Date 08/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: RMPrepUSB: mke2fs command failed

Works OK for me - are you using NTFS for USB drive?
Is there enough free space on your USB drive?
Press F3 to see the folder where the log file is made.
.mnu file is in E2B v1.98 and later.

Date 08/03/2018

By dexter

Subject Re: Re: RMPrepUSB: mke2fs command failed

> are you using NTFS for USB drive?
No (fat32), Is it a problem?
> Is there enough free space on your USB drive?
Yes, many GB.
thanks

Date 08/03/2018

By dexter

Subject Re: Re: RMPrepUSB: mke2fs command failed

> Press F3 to see the folder where the log file is made.
It doesn't work, quickly (less than one second) It opens (F3 in RMPREPUSB) the RMPREPUSB's folder only and there's no message in RMPREPUSB's gui (only the "Error: etc." message, in red).
BUT, I FOUND THE CULPRIT: RMPREPUSB doesn't like its folder path (currently is "c:\(inLine\(LOW_LEVEL-OS_DEPLOYMENT\RMPrepUSB\").
I put It in c:\RMPrepUSB\ and all works fine!!
Sorry Steve :-(
Thanks

Date 08/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: RMPrepUSB: mke2fs command failed

Using () parentheses in paths and filenames is a bad idea! Also using other odd characters like & and ! and | is a bad idea too!

Date 06/03/2018

By Starla

Subject Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

Hi Steve.

I think I've found a critical bug in latest VBox 5.2.8. It causes a *host* computer BSOD when booting a VM using a physical E2B drive attached to host computer using the raw VMDK/Virtual Machine USB Boot tool trick.

Used E2B is updated to latest v1.98 and it boots the host physical computer as well as the same VM (if previous VBox versions up to 5.2.6 are used) without issuess.

I've narrowed the problem down to triggers being 2 lines (if commented out with # then no BSOD) in \_ISO\e2b\grub\menu.lst:

line 548
dd if=(md)0x3000+0xA0 of=(md)0xa000+0xA0 > nul

and line 575
cat --locate="\ntimeout " --replace=\n# (md)0xa000+0xA0

Both lines try to access memory at 0xA000 and seem related to the FASTLOAD feature. Other 3 lines access memory at that offset previously (443, 444 and 451) but I've not tested their impact because they are not executed if FASTLOAD is not enabled by user (I don't use it). However lines 548 and 575 are unconditionally executed.

This is clearly a bug in latest VBox (current and previous E2B works like a charm on real hardware and previous VBox versions), but I would like to get bug confirmation from you if possible since opening a ticket at VBox bug tracker is going to requiere some cumbersome account creation.

Thanks in advance.

Date 06/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

Hi
Well done for tracking down the lines!
I noticed the issue too and have reported the problem on the VBox forum already.
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86992&sid=100082440671fbaa05211550e3cceb26
P.S. 0xA000 is nothing to do with fastload, it is just where the Main Menu is stored by E2B (address 20MB) for quick reloading of the Main menu.

Date 06/03/2018

By Starla

Very nice Steve.

Here is BSOD summary (in case you want to add it to your VBox forum post)

Bug Check String: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code: 0x000000d1
Parameter 1: 00000000`00000028
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4: fffff880`09abfe2d
Caused By Driver: VMMR0.r0
Caused By Address: VMMR0.r0+94e2d
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+703c0

Extracted from report generated by NirSoft BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Date 06/03/2018

By Starla

From MS debugging tools for Windows documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xd1--driver-irql-not-less-or-equal

I can generate a BSOD minidump + VBox logs as requested, but I have a suggestion instead: maybe you could create a small "BSOD trigger demo" menu.lst file for VBox devs to easily reproduce it, something that stops just before any of the trigger commands and waits for a keypress to execute. I guess they could install grub4dos to the VDI in a test VM + \grldr + \menu.lst. You can better guide them here: setup a shared folder with grub4dos installer + grldr + menu.lst, then boot VM i.e. to WinPE using a Win install iso, press SHIFT+F10 for cmd, and install and copy files to VDI root. Finally boot the VDI.

Hope the above makes sense.

Date 07/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

see
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86992&p=415809#p415809

I tried putting pauses in menu.lst code to find the point where it BSOD's and the two lines you indicated worked fine.
I found the cause was the map command (see link to forum for details). I can repro without using VMUB or .vmdk file or E2B.

Date 07/03/2018

By Starla

Subject Re: Re: Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

Easy and to the point setup for checking the bug by devs.

However note: on my host computer I can bypass the BSOD by commenting out lines 548 (dd) and 575 (cat). Uncomment any of them (tested uncommenting one keeping the other commented) and I get the BSOD. That means line 504 (map, the ones causing BSOD for you) gets executed w/o BSOD.

My host is Win 7 x64, I think yours is 10 x64. Also, I'm assigning 4 GB RAM to my VM.

Date 07/03/2018

By Starla

And maybe important: PAE/NX is enable as well in my VM.

Date 07/03/2018

By Starla

Ok Steve, nothing changed in my setup, but some minutes ago I got a BSOD even with lines 548 (dd) and 575 (cat) commented out, so they are not the only triggers.

I've uncommented them (so both execute) and just commented out line 504 (map) and NO BSOD. Never touched that line in my previous tests (always executed). So it seems to be a trigger as well. I'll keep this mnu.lst (only skipping line 504) for further tests.

Date 09/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

Problem reproduced by VBox devs. It doesn't just crash Windows either but other OS's. To my mind, I think they should withdraw 5.2.8 urgently, as it could cost people hours of lost work if it crashes their host system...

Date 09/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

I have re-released E2B v1.98 and modified the map (md)0x300+0x800 code line. It should have been (md)0x300+200 but somehow got modified at some point. It was copying 1M of memory when it should have been only 100K.
The new version of E2B does not cause a BSOD on my system now with VBOX 5.2.8. Can you test too pls?

Date 11/03/2018

By Starla

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible bug in latest VBox 5.2.8 triggered by E2B menu.lst

Tested latest E2B 1.98 with revised menu.lst (20180309) on VBox 5.2.8: NO BSOD for me.

Nice job Steve. It seems that 5.2.8 introduced some kind of wrong memory handling behaviour causing the problem with old line 504 instance. According to devs it's already fixed in currrent 5.2.9? dev build.

I'll keep testing 5.2.8 with latest E2B in the meantime.

Thanks a lot for your time looking into this and the continous improvement of E2B!

Date 05/03/2018

By dexter

Subject Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

Hi to all.
My e2b usb drive (made it with Easy2Boot v1.97A), 16GB.
The following files in "_ISO\MAINMENU\MNU\":
- pmagic_2018_01_08.mnu (properly edited from "Parted_Magic_2016_Live_Persistent.mnu").
- pmagic_2018_01_08.iso
- pmagic_2018_01_08.txt
File "pmagic_2018_01_08.SQFS" in \pmagic\pmodules\
It boots and loads, all fine.
After some working/settings inside parted magic, double clicking on "Quit" icon (on parted magic desktop), then click on "Save Session", then selected option is "Save: User settings from /root and /etc are...", click on "Ok" and here the error message:
"Save Session Notice - Unable to continue. Please verify that the Parted Magic USB is connected"
(but my usb e2b drive is connected).
Many thanks.

Date 05/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

It sounds like it cannot find the SQFS file.
If you delete it, do you get the same symptoms?
If so, check the spelling and case of the SQFS file - in the ISO it is all uppercase...?

Date 05/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

Just tested it using VBOX and no problems. Upper or lower case for the SQFS both work on detection/booting.
Can you see and access the USB drive when under pmagic linux?
P.S. I tested it on a real system and now I get the same error on save! It picks up the Save file OK on boot, and if I choose 'delete Save file' then it deletes it OK, but it does not want to save it! Not sure if this is a just a problem with 2018 version all also previous versions.
Strange that it works under VBOX (where USB drive appears as a non-USB HDD).

Date 05/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

OK - I think I have figured out what is going on!
For *detection* and loading of the save file on boot, the SQFS filename can be upper or lower case.
BUT, when *saving* the Save file, the SQFS filename must be all uppercase!
P.S. You don't need a mnu file - if you select the ISO file in the E2B menu and hold down the SHIFT key, it will run ISOBOOT and run the 32-bit version of pmagic and the Save feature will be enabled (if the SQFS file is present).

Date 05/03/2018

By dexter

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

> P.S. You don't need a mnu file - if you select
> the ISO file in the E2B menu and hold down the
> SHIFT key, it will run ISOBOOT and run
> the 32-bit version of pmagic and the Save
> feature will be enabled (if the SQFS file
> is present).

But I would like to run the 64bit version: any chance to do that (e.g. with mnu file and SQFS file with its name all uppercase)? Thanks a lot Steve, You've been very fast.

Date 05/03/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

Your .mnu file should work fine (I assume).
Just make sure the filename of the actual file on the E2B drive is in uppercase -
\pmagic\pmodules\PMAGIC_2018_01_08.SQFS

Date 06/03/2018

By dexter

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Parted Magic's save session: doesn't work

I tried with uppercase file name: It worked (on save session PM created the file xxx..sqfm next to file xxx.SQFS)!!!!
many thanks Steve!!!

Date 27/02/2018

By Yura

Subject Strange list

After some update I get strange moving to scroll.
Please see video: https://youtu.be/329cajdl3s0

Date 27/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Strange list

strange - but without more details I cannot help.
See the FAQ pages for help with debugging.

Date 28/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Strange list

You are using GFX=NONE but you have not changed the menu size parameters.
The defaults menu parameters for a 800x600 screen and are:
set noitems=24
set tophelp=26
set HBTM=3502

But if you use text mode GFX=NONE, then you have 640x400 pixels which has 80 chars by 25 lines. So the default values need to be changed.
# if GFX=NONE then may be in 640x400 = 80 x 25 lines (sometimes 80 x 30 with some BIOSes)
set noitems=17
set tophelp=19
set HBTM=2400
set HELPTEXT=Here is help text

# if you want 640x480 80x30 lines - use this in your MyE2B.cfg
graphicsmode -1 640 480
set noitems=18
set tophelp=20
set HBTM=2900
set HELPTEXT=Here is help text

tophelp is normally set to topstart+noitems

Date 06/02/2018

By PaydenKP

Subject Easy2Boot - How to disable unattend for Windows 2008 R2 Server ISO?

I'm trying to install Windows 2008 R2 Server, but it keeps saying the ProductKey can't be found. This is because I wish to manually enter this. How can I disable unattend and just install as normal?
I've tried deleting the xml files, and I don't have this issue with Windows 10 installations.
My setup for the USB was as simple as running the Easy2Boot installation, and copying the ISO files, then defragmenting the drive.

Date 06/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Easy2Boot - How to disable unattend for Windows 2008 R2 Server ISO?

In order to make an unmodified Windows Install ISO load the ISO file as a 'virtual DVD' so it can access the files on the 'DVD', E2B has to use an XML file with commands inside the XML file which tell Setup to load the ISO file.
Unfortunately, most Win8 and Win10 install ISOs require a Product key to be specified inside the XML file or else it does not work.
Why don't you just pick a generic SVR2K8R2 install key as already provided. Then once the OS is installed, you can manually enter your own product key.
The alternative would be to convert the ISO to a .imgPTN file using MakePartImage. Then no XML is used and no key is required and you can enter your own key at Setup.

Date 06/02/2018

By PaydenKP

Subject Re: Re: Easy2Boot - How to disable unattend for Windows 2008 R2 Server ISO?

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I will use a generic key and go forward with that.

Date 31/01/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject show e2b drive as one partition

i'm trying to start ghost 11.5 from the e2b drive, but it will not show the e2b drive in the dropdown list when ghost is loaded.
It works from my old single partition multiboot drive, so I guess it's because ghost doesn't recognize the multi-partition e2b drive.
Is there a way to make this work?

Date 31/01/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I see it works on new computers, but my old computers will not see the drive.

Date 31/01/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

If it works on new computers but not on old (with exactly same E2B USb stick, same MBR boot, all same conditions) then the problem must be with the old computer's BIOS or hardware. E2B has always made two partitions, it's just that the 2nd partition was not formatted on earlier versions.
P.S. Ghost 11.5 is based on Vista PE and only support USB 2 ports and older USB controllers.
P.S. Try using .isoPE01 file extension.

Date 01/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I think this Ghost is based on Dos.
Ghost starts fine and if I attach the old yumiboot usb and boots from e2b and ghost, then from ghost I'm able to choose the old yumi drive, but not the e2b drive. It just doesn't show in the list.
So I think it's because of the extra partitions. But that's just my guess.

Date 01/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I don't see why 2 partitions would cause a problem.
The DOS version of Ghost works fine on my E2B drive which has 2 partitions as .iso.
Try a file extension of .iso01

Date 09/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Hi
If I make these edits to my mnu file then Ghosts works after a second reboot:
partnew (hd0,3) 0 0 0
partnew (hd0,1) 0 0 0
So it must be something about the partitions it doesn't like.
Is there some builtin functions to make this easier?
Or to skip the reboot before it works?
And will this destroy the e2b functions?
Thanks.

Date 10/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I am afraid I do not know what your .mnu file contains, so it is difficult to comment.
Can you post the contents of the .mnu file?
What exactly is the file you are trying to boot from (.iso? .wim? .img?) - did you use the file extension recommended (.iso01) if an ISO file? Did you try other file extensions (use .isoask if an ISO).
Can you describe in detail, exactly what steps you followed to 'fix' the problem?
Are both partnew commands actually required or only one of them?
E2B runs partnew (hd0,3) when it boots, but if you just use .iso as a file extension, it will create a new hd0,3 partition when it boots the ISO.

Date 10/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

My mnu file is not exactly working. I'm just playing around for now.
I've tried those extensions and more, but they have no effect on this problem.
I have these 15 year old desktop machines I need to re-image with symantec ghost 11.5.
Somehow on these machines ghost will only see the removable flash drive if it has just 1 partition. Hiding partition 2-4 is not enough.
If I do the partnew on the used partitions 2+4 and then do a reboot, then starting the ghost.iso will show the usb flash drive. But only after the reboot. So it's like the partnew first takes effect after a reboot.
On all other machines I have no problems.

Date 10/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

OK - well the DOS version of Ghost probably uses the system BIOS for disk access. So on reboot, the BIOS would see a USB drive with one partition.
The 2nd partition is not needed - but some systems will boot as a floppy disk and fail with flashing cursor if it is not present. The 4th ptn is created by E2B when you pick an ISO to run, but it is deleted the next time you load the E2B menu and is type 0 anyway so should be ignored by BIOS and DOS.
When testing BIOS issues like this - ALWAYS switch off the PC - insert USB drive - switch on PC. Do this each time you test booting. This is because, with some BIOSes, they only determine the USB 'type' on a cold boot (power up or hard reset) and not a warm reboot (software reset).
You could convert the ISO to a .imgPTN file and use a file extension of .imgptnAauto and see if that works... then you should only get one partition.

Date 10/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

The imgptn does kind of solve the partition problem, but gives me other problems as I would need to put all images inside too and for now they are too big for DOS and FAT.
And my idea about this project was to have all the restore software: Ghost, Acronis and Clonezilla on one usb flash with easy access to add or renew the images.

Date 10/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I see your point.
Have you tried holding down the SHIFT key as E2B boots to load the grub4dos USB driver? Maybe that will fix the issue? i.e. Standard normal E2B drive - boot and hold down SHIFT key (check driver sees USB drive) - run ghost iso...

Date 10/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Also try these tests on standard 2ptn E2B USB drive.
Test 1
1. Boot to E2B menu
2. Run partnew (hd0,1) 0 0 0 from a .mnu file
3. Reboot and run Ghost.iso from E2B drive - check symptom

Test 2 (standard E2B drive with 2 ptns)
1. ReName Ghost.iso to Ghost.isogz
2. Run Ghost.isogz from E2B - check symptom
3. Reboot and run Ghost.isogz again - check symptom

Date 10/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Test 1 is working once. After first time I need to clear p4 too.
Test 2 is not working.
Shift is working and showing all partitions in Ghost.
But somehow my keyboard stops working in the bootmenu.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

For test 1, can you describe step by step what you mean by 'after first time I need to clear ptn 4 as well'? How did you run ISO and clear ptn 4 at same time?
For SHIFT kbd issue - did you try unplugging USB kbd and the re-connecting it?

Date 11/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

For test1:
If I run it just as an iso it makes some changes to ptn 4, which after a reboot is enough to prevent Ghost from finding the drive again. So clearing ptn 4 and another reboot will make it work once more.
Is there some BIOS tricks to make the refresh without a reboot?

Shift:
Here I can make it work if instead of using my usb-hub I use 3 ports for my keyboard, mouse and flash. I can do this on my test-machine, but in real life it's hard enough just to find one port.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

When you boot to the E2B menu, then E2B will run partnew (hd0,3) 0 0 0 automatically.
So this process should work.
1. Boot to E2B and run a .mnu file which runs partnew (hd0,1) 0 0 0
2. Reboot - run ghost iso
Can you test please?

I don't understand what the BIOS\Ghost is doing in your system. If the BIOS is booting from the E2B drive, then the E2B drive should be BIOS ID 80h = HDD0 and you should be able to list files on it under grub4dos or DOS (e.g. using UTILITIES menu options). So why cannot Ghost see the E2B partition?? If you quit Ghost and go back to DOS - can you see the E2B files? I just don't understand why it cannot see the E2B partition under Ghost.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

P.S. Do you have Ghost 11.5.0 2008 or Ghost 11.5.1 2009 or some other version?

Date 11/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I see about partnew. If I boot to the menu and just do a reboot, then ghost works again. So this partnew requires a reboot and is set everytime.

I can't see the drive in dos. I guess because it's ntfs.

Ghost is 11.5 from 2008

Date 11/02/2018

By Stevesi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

If it works without a usb hub then that explains why no one else has reported a problem. It might have helped if you had mentioned that fact!
Why not try the latest version of Ghost 2009?
Also try a better usb hub.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

P.S. Why not use the hub for USB kbd and mouse and put the E2B USB key into the PC port?

Date 11/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

It doesn't work without the usb hub. Only the Grub usb driver conflicts with the hub.
I can try to find a newer Ghost. For now I have just tried to combine the software from the flash drives I have been provided.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

What do you mean 'it doesn't work without the USB hub'? Is this another piece of information that you failed to mention?
So if you connect the kbd, mouse and E2B drive directly to the PC, then it cannot be made to work no matter how you use partnew or anything else? Is that correct?

Date 11/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

No, I mean the hub makes no difference to the e2b/ghost functions. With or without the hub I have the same problems.
Only when I try the shift key with grub usb drivers the usb hub gives problems with the keyboard.

Date 11/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

OK - please try to reply clearly.
So as it seems to rely on booting with a single ptn, we need two boots.
1. Boot to E2B - select 'remove ptn 2 and reboot' menu
2. Boot to E2B again (now BIOS sees only 1 ptn) and automatically re-instates ptn 2.
3. Pick Ghost ISO from E2B menu.

To make this happen, please can you re-run your tests as before, but instead of using partnew (hd0,1) 0 0 0 can you use parttype (hd0,1) 0 and parttype (hd0,3) 0
If that works, then I may be able to devise something for you easily. If it does not work and we must use partnew, then it will be more difficult (but not impossible).

Date 11/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I tried the e2b 1.98 and it looks like if I use the freedos on there and start the ghost.exe I can see the drive. It shows the drive twice. Once with drive letter and once without. But that might not matter much.
Is there a way to make it autostart ghost.exe?

Date 12/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

yes, use 7zip to extract the .ima file
Load .ima file in WinImage
Extract autoexec.bat
add
A:\ghost.exe to end of the file using notepad
copy autoexec.bat back to image
copy ghost.exe into image
save image as .ima
Now you can run .ima in E2B

If you want to try the reboot scheme for the ISO file see https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqlrQcdsFA-Koz4Y2HAYbHrbp5ii

Date 12/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Thanks. The reboot is working.

But I would like to try the freedos too.
I tried what you said, but there is not enough room for the Ghost.exe. I even made it 2.88.
Is it possible to delete some files from the ima or are all used?

Date 12/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

You can copy the ghost.exe to the root of the E2B drive and add
C:\Ghost.exe
to the end of the autoexec.bat file.
Most of the files in \FREEDOS are not required - e.g. edit, fdisk, part

Date 13/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Try the floppy disk image in E2B v1.98f. It is now 7.6MB in size, FAT32, and has mouse driver added. You should be able to add Ghost.exe to it now.

Date 13/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Thanks. Now it fits :)
But sadly it seems like I was tricked.
It still needs the reboot. It just showed the PTN2 drive, so I thought it worked with several partitions, but that might be the trick of your config mnu file.
Thanks a lot for helping.
I will use the reboot thing for now. And maybe see if I can find a newer ghost.

Date 13/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

You originally said that if you boot from the ISO on an E2B drive, Ghost cannot see the E2B drive.
Did you actually mean 'drive' or did you mean 'partition'.
i.e. can Ghost see PTN2 on the E2B drive but not partition 1 (the E2B volume) when you boot from an ISO on the old system?

Date 13/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I mean drive.

What tricked me this time was something I think happens with your reboot menu and restore.
I tried the freedos and ghost.exe and suddenly I could see both E2B and PTN2 partitions. I've never seen both before.
When it worked the PTN2 was always cleared.
So I thought suddenly it could see both partitions with this freedos.
But I guess this happens when you restore the PTN2, but we don't refresh the BIOS with a reboot.

Another thought could be if it's possible when you boot iso's to clear the ptn 3 before reboot. So the drive would always show just 1 partition to the bios.

Date 13/02/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

I see.
I cannot clear ptn 4 because it is needed to boot linux.
i.e. set ptn 4 to iso file, boot to linux, reboot to E2B.
So I have no way to clear it once linux has booted.
Anyway, when booting to E2B, ptn 2 needs to be present or it won't boot on some systems.

Date 13/02/2018

By Nikolaj

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: show e2b drive as one partition

Yes, I also couldn't see how it could be done.
If I start ghost from the mini windows xp from hbcd, then I can see all partitions. So I think my way forward will be to find some winpe.

Date 22/01/2018

By J-F Gagnon

Subject Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Hello, I succesfully created a second partition on my 256GB USB Key. ISOs like Antivirus, linux, etc... works, but not the Windows one. How can we do this?
Thanks

Date 22/01/2018

By J-F Gagnon

Subject Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

I forgot to say that I put all my ISOs in the second partition

Date 22/01/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Windows ISOs need to be in the first partition.
If you want them in the 2nd partition, convert them to .imgPTN files.
It is a bad idea to put E2B or any payload files past 128GB on the drive because of a very common BIOS bug which cant access files on a USB drive (in MBR mode) past 128GB.

Date 22/01/2018

By J-F Gagnon

Subject Re: Re: Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Ok, I wanted to put all the ISO files in the partition that Windows doesn't see to keep other files visible. So I read that BIOS doesn't read over 128GB put I was thinking it was 128GB of a partition and not from a drive. So I can create a 256GB partition and try to put all payload in the first 128GB?

Date 22/01/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Exactly - Windows (pre Creators update) cannot see the ISO file if it is on the 2nd partition - therefore it will not be able to load the ISO and use the install.wim file.
If you use a 256GB partition, you must ensure all files are before 128GB, but this is very hard to do because the NTFS filesystem will always use the unused clusters first. So once you have filled the partition with over 128GB of files - even if you delete 120GB afterwards - the NTFS filesystem will put the next file you copy past 128GB on the drive.
Hence I recommend making a 128GB first partition because then you know the files will not go past the 128GB point.

Date 22/01/2018

By J-F Gagnon

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Ok, but if I put my "other" files in the second partition and want to access it in Windows 7? I saw that we have a little program "SWITCH_E2B.exe" but when I press "Access Partition 2", it does nothing, the same partition is loaded.

Date 22/01/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Second partition to put Windows ISO's

Both partitions must be Primary ptns.
Primary+Logical does not work when swapping the partition table entries.

Date 27/12/2017

By Jesko

Subject Desktop not found if not at default location

MPI-tool's CreateDesktopShortcuts.cmd
uses the default Desktop location - and fails if that was changed:
the real path then is:
REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Desktop

Date 27/12/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Desktop not found if not at default location

Thanks, can you try this version instead?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqlrQcdsFA-KoUo8nSin83ogdT6X

Date 27/12/2017

By Jesko

Subject Re: Re: Desktop not found if not at default location

Works! Thank You.

Date 07/01/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Desktop not found if not at default location

Fixed in v0.079 of MPI Tool Pack

Date 22/12/2017

By DrPepperCan

Subject Can I use E2B to make an ISO from a USB key?

Thanks

Date 22/12/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Can I use E2B to make an ISO from a USB key?

Use the Site Map...
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/make-and-burn-an-e2b-dvd/

Date 21/12/2017

By Andre rds

Subject Erro Warning Bad XML file

Hello my dear friend I have a problem when I try to boot into windows systems, for some reason it asks to select an .xml file but regardless of which I choose to give the following error .. ** WARNING: Bad XML file (/ _ISO / WINDOWS / Win7 / Load_ISO. ... or missing AutoUnattend.xml in root (or using VM)! Could you help me?

Date 21/12/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Erro Warning Bad XML file

You may get this error if you have a faulty USB drive, or if using QEMU_MENU_TEST.cmd or other VM which does not lock the volume. It should work on a real system or using VBOX+VMUB.

New comment

There is a LOT of information on this site which should cover all common questions and problems - please use the Site Map to find the page you need.

For specific problems, it is much easier for 1-to-1 communication to use the Contact Me form and I will reply via email.