This page has a different format from the other site pages and has hardly any adverts. You can view all pages on the entire site like this when you donate £5/$8 (English GBP/US Dollars) or more (on both www.easy2boot.com and www.rmprepusb.com sites). You can read and subscribe to my blog here.

E2B Users Forum

New! E2B eBooks are now available (eBook #1 contains instructions on how to remove the blue-screen startup banner).

If you would like help from me (Steve Si) or other E2B users, or would like to offer help and advice to others, please post here.

You will need to check this page regularly for replies or add this page's URL to a page change ch ecker.

Alternatively, post on the Easy2Boot discussion page on reboot.pro here - register and subscribe to any threads that interest you or post a new topic.

You can use the Chat\Live Help facility - if I am online, I will respond within a minute or so (if I am away from my desk, leave your email address and I will email you). For 1-to-1 email communication, use the Contact Me form and I will reply via email.

To post to this Forum, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'New comment' (use English please).

Also, you can read and subscribe to my blog here.

Topic: Easy2Boot

Date 05/12/2017

By Pete

Subject Re: Re: Serial key menu

Thank you for the reply SteveSi I will take a look at the link you gave me. I have only just discovered E2B and think its brilliant! ;-}

Regards
Pete

Date 05/12/2017

By Pete

Subject Re: Re: Serial key menu

SteveSi
say if i wanted to use I:\_ISO\WINDOWS\WIN10 how to choose a product key from the list, Im thinking its some sort of menu for keys click a number then install? would this need to be at root folder or have I missed the point?

TY
Pete

Date 05/12/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Serial key menu

When you 'switch' to a .imgPTN file, the E2B partition disappears. So the \_ISO folder and all other files are no longer present.
The only reason to use imgPTN files for Windows Installs is to UEFI-boot. So if you need to choose from a range of different keys, you need to have a range of different XML files present.
You should make the .imgPTN file using Chandra's Split_WinISO utility and choose the MySetup.cmd option when offered.
http://www.com/add-payload-files/split-winiso/
I am afraid it involves editing a \auto.cmd file and knowledge of .cmd script language, etc. and is not for beginners.

Date 03/12/2017

By dnecro

Subject Small problem adding Windows 10 to main menu

When you add windows 10 to main menu via $$AddWin2Main.mnu file you can't redirect runwin8.g4b to runwin10.g4b because this file not exist in grub folder. When you start windows 10 from main menu it shows windows 8 xml alternatives. Can you add runwin10.g4b file to grub folder?

Date 03/12/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Small problem adding Windows 10 to main menu

runwin8.g4b is correct. It is used for Win8, Win10, SVR2012 and SVR2016. Please ensure you have set MFOLDER to point to the folder that contains your ISO file and your .XML and .KEY files.

# Win10 Example
# use this for Win8/8.1/SVR2012/WIN10 ISOs - all use RunWin8.g4b
iftitle [if exist /_ISO/WINDOWS/Win10/Win10_64.iso] Install Win10 64-bit \nInstall from the ISO
set MFOLDER=/_ISO/WINDOWS/WIN10
set ISO=Win10_64.iso
# to choose XML or Product Key do not set XML variable to anything
set XML=
# OR - Specify XML file name (must be in MFOLDER folder) e.g. Win10\ has\ spaces\ in\ name.xml - DO NOT USE FULL PATH!
# set XML=NO\ KEY\ (choose\ a\ version\ to\ install).xml
# Do not change next line...
/%grub%/RunWin8.g4b %MFOLDER% %XML%
boot

Date 04/12/2017

By dnecro

Subject Re: Re: Small problem adding Windows 10 to main menu

It seems worked that way. Thank you for your help.

Date 10/08/2018

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Small problem adding Windows 10 to main menu

P.S. for E2B v1.A1 and later, you also need to set HDG to the menu heading, e.g.
set HDG=My New Menu Heading

Date 23/11/2017

By cheetoh

Subject Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

Tried ubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.iso and Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-24-1.2.iso and got "no-live media found" errors. Downgraded to previous version Easy2Boot v1.95 and both isos loaded without issues. Something got broken in the latest version.

Date 23/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

Did you use 1.96A or 1.96ADPMS?
No one else has reported a problem. Can you re-test v.1.96a (just run Update E2B).
You can easily revert to 1.95 by running Update E2B from the 1.95 exe.

Date 23/11/2017

By cheetoh

Subject Re: Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

I used 1.96A, and tested it multiple times. I have now tried 1.97c and everything works. I'll just stick to the beta for now. By the way, thanks for your quick reply.

Date 23/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

That's odd. I cannot find any issue and I was just live chatting to someone who is happily using 1.96A.
There have been over 20,000 downloads of 1.96A already and no one else has reported a problem. Could you investigate further?

Date 24/11/2017

By cheetoh

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

You're right, it's odd. Did a fresh install of 1.96A on another flash drive and both live isos worked. Ver 1.96A was the first ever e2b for me, and I used the QEMU on both the installer and RMPrepUSB quite a lot. This time, I didn't use QEMU. Could it be that some corruption occurs through menu emulation?

I'm sorry if I caused you some alarm.

Date 24/11/2017

By cheetoh

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

To further investigate, ran QEMU on the new flash drive, and could not replicate the errors. Perhaps my first flash drive is defective. Once again, my apologies.

Date 24/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easy2Boot v1.96A bug

You may need to allow time after file writes for flush of file system. Under Windows, some sticks seem to need 30 seconds or so before all files are written to USB drive. Under linux and QEMU, you seem to need to flush and eject and reconnect before using QEMU.

Date 17/11/2017

By *human$bootmgr&missing-reboot~or#cancel

Subject windows version?

Hi there!
As it is said, there is a lot of informations on the site, no easy for a neophyte to find his way...
Is there a windows installer or portable version of E2B so as to use it as a more intuitive bootable usb creator?
Thank you

Date 17/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: windows version?

The Easy2Boot download is a portable program that makes a bootable E2B USB drive in a few clicks.
It's pretty easy!

Date 17/11/2017

By '[email protected]|boot/ini

Subject Re: Re: windows version?

ok, I keep trying

Date 14/11/2017

By Varkanoid

Subject Menu Help Text & Pimp my drive

Is it possible to remove pimp my drive once its been run ? Also can you edit which menu items it adds.

Also the menu help text that appears with each entry can you change the number of displayed lines from 4 to 2 or even remove it altogether ?

Date 14/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Menu Help Text & Pimp my drive

http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/pimpmydrive/
http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/

to remove help lines use
set tophelp=70

E2B v1.97c also has some changes which you may like. You can change the help text width and position. ;-)

Date 07/11/2017

By БлагоЯр Тишина

Subject PTN2 to Windows 10

Why is this partition displayed?
If I remove it, the entire USB flash drive is removed.

PS. In Windows 7, there is no such thing

Date 07/11/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: PTN2 to Windows 10

Latest Windows 10 editions (1607+) show the second hidden partition. It is a new 'feature' in Windows 10!!!
You should keep the partition there because some systems will not boot to E2B if you delete it.
If it is unformatted (31K), just use Windows to format it when you see the pop-up.

Date 31/10/2017

By L D

Subject 2nd partition accessible from imgPTN

I set up a drive successfully but the wanted to add a partition with PortableApps and other personal files. Using minitool partition wizard, I reduced the 1st partition (contains _ISO) and added a 2nd primary (contains PotableApps) and deleted the small hidden partition. Everything works but I do not see the 2nd partition in any boot images. I only see the 2nd partition when I am in the "main" easy2boot menu table. How do I make the 2nd partition "stick" on the part tables when switching between boot images?

THANK YOU

Date 31/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: 2nd partition accessible from imgPTN

Hi, just rename the file extension to .imgPTNLBAa23 or .imgPTN23.
See http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/list-of-file-extensions-recognised-by-e2b/

Date 25/10/2017

By Shaan Subbaiah

Subject E2B UEFI with imgptn files

Hello Steve,
Would like to know if I could make all the iso files imgptn files (linux iso, win 10 iso, live av cd iso's). And if so, I should be able to ditch all the folder premade, and make my own Win10,Linux,Bitdefender folders, such that it appears in the main menu with custom backgrounds for each? How would I go about doing so?
Thanks

Date 25/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: E2B UEFI with imgptn files

You do not need to convert the ISOs to imgPTN for MBR booting, they will work from any folder.
You can convert most to .imgPTN but you may run into trouble with some of them.
You can create new menu folders and use them with any iso (but you will need to create special .mnu files for WIndows Install ISOs).
http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/multiple-backgrounds/
http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/add-a-new-menu-folder/
http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/wininstmenu/

Date 25/10/2017

By Shaan Subbaiah

Subject Re: Re: E2B UEFI with imgptn files

Thankyou, was able to implement the custom folders. For linux iso's, do you recommend converting them to imptn files? As they seem to work properly as iso's. Im planning to use both windows and linux, shall make only the windows 10 iso imptn?
Thanks

Date 25/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: E2B UEFI with imgptn files

if you only want to MBR-boot linux, then I suggest you use the .ISO files.
If you convert Windows Install ISOs to .imgPTN, take care to answer the EI.cfg file question carefully and then you can install all the different Editions which are inside the install.wim file.
If you name the file extension as .imgPTNAUTO then it will switch without prompting you.

Date 25/10/2017

By Shaan Subbaiah

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: E2B UEFI with imgptn files

I didnt get the last part, wont prompt you to switch what? As a failsafe, nming all iso's as isoauto should help right? Also The windows version im using has only a single edition in it (enterprise x64) so the ei.cfg shouldnt affect it if i keep/delete it right?
Thanks

Date 25/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: E2B UEFI with imgptn files

When you run a .imgPTN file from the E2B menu, it will prompt you to switch partitions and you have to press ENTER or Y+ENTER to switch in the .imgPTN file. Using a file extension of .imgPTNAUTO just suppresses the prompt.
.isoauto is not a valid file extension.

Date 22/10/2017

By solstiv

Subject Easy2Boot on UEFI system

Hello, if I want to boot from stick with installed E2B, I need to switch booting in BIOS to legacy compatibility mode and back then.

This is inconvenient, is there a possibility that my stick will boot even if BIOS is set in UEFI mode?

Date 22/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Easy2Boot on UEFI system

Hi
You can use \_ISO\Switch_E2B.exe to switch in any .imgPTN file.
I totally agree that it is inconvenient!

However, the reason it is done this way is:
1. Some UEFI BIOSes have a very annoying bug. If a valid UEFI boot file is present, these BIOSes will NEVER MBR-boot from the USB drive. So if you want to boot to Hirens say in MBR mode (or just the E2B menu), you cannot do that (even if CSM mode is enabled in the BIOS settings).
2. FAT32 would be required which means large files >4GB could not be added.
3. grub4dos does not boot via UEFI
4. It makes adding/configuring/deleting UEFI payloads very complex.
5. You would have to use an application to add/delete UEFI payloads and that app would need to 'know' about all possible payloads and be maintained monthly and ongoing.
6. Secure boot would be compromised

If you just want a Windows payload multiboot USB drive, take a look at WinSetupFromUSB. This does support MBR+UEFI, but if you are using it on lots of different systems, snag #1 above may catch you out!

Date 05/10/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Change any WinPE - add shortcuts, change wallpaper, autorun apps, etc.

If you have lots of WinPE ISOs or WIM files on your E2B drive, you can easily add your own shortcuts, change the wallpaper, add drivers and autorun commands on startup. No need to change the ISO\WIM file. See the PEStartup Tutorial at http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/143_pestartup

Date 16/09/2017

By Bertholdouz-2

Subject Issue cannot copy: Robocopy or winXP?

Hi Steve. I use winXP x32 from my user account with admin attributes.
I deleted some files on Easy2Boot pendrive, hoping to copy them on E2B updating. However, this could not copy "Make this drive contiguos.cmd", and maybe other files that I don't know.
Image E2B folder device: https://s6.postimg.org/9sldrzs1d/Cannot-copy-makethisdrivecontiguos-and-others.png

This displays the dialog window, but really E2B could not copy these files on second try, neither:

E2B USB Drive Letter to update? (e.g. E) : F

"robocopy" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
Using XCOPY /d to update - please wait...

C:\DOCUME~1\User~1\CONFIG~1\Temp\RarSFX0\MAKE_E2B_USB_DRIVE (run as admin).cmd
C:\DOCUME~1\User~1\CONFIG~1\Temp\RarSFX0\MAKE_THIS_DRIVE_CONTIGUOUS.cmd
C:\DOCUME~1\User~1\CONFIG~1\Temp\RarSFX0\QEMU_MENU_TEST (run as admin).cmd
C:\DOCUME~1\User~1\CONFIG~1\Temp\RarSFX0\UPDATE_E2B_DRIVE.CMD
4 archivos copiados

Presione una tecla para continuar . . .

I once tried to install a robocopy (2005 version) downloaded from the internet, but this did not work.

Date 16/09/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Issue cannot copy: Robocopy or winXP?

Is there any free space on the USB drive?
Try just copying all the E2B files to the USB drive using Explorer.
Maybe your Anti-Virus is stopping it?
Maybe your USB flash drive is faulty?

Date 20/09/2017

By Bertholdouz-2

Subject Re: Re: Issue cannot copy: Robocopy or winXP?

I wonder if maybe it's a lack of winXP.
The XP remains without AV and internet, currently, just XP-Firewall turned On.
The USB Drive is the Kingston DataTraveler SE9 16GB. It's filled by 46%, 54% free space.
I write you from a GNU/Linux distribution.

Date 20/09/2017

By Stevesi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Issue cannot copy: Robocopy or winXP?

So what happens if you just copy the files yourself. ?
P.S. Why are 8.3 short folder names listed by xcopy (as shown in your example in first post)? Usually XP will show the full folder names and not the short file name?

Date 13/09/2017

By Bertholdouz

Subject What was the previous wallpaper (red sky)?

Hi Steve. Thanks, great work!
Plz, I want to download the previous wallpaper (Red Sky, and others), but I have not found it in Alternate Area.
P.S: Google+ to gmail users it's a problem to answer on rmprepusb.blogspot.com
Thanks.

Date 13/09/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: What was the previous wallpaper (red sky)?

I have added all (?) default wallpapers to Themes - Default E2B Backgrounds folder on Alternate Download Sites now.

Date 18/08/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Greek language Beta files for E2B

https://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/beta-version-of-greek-language-available.html
Also in E2B v1.95c Beta

If you speak Greek, please test and correct.

Date 17/08/2017

By Ivan

Subject rebootPro Forum

Hello SteveSi,
Two questions:
Do you remember, I asked for your convenience about a reboot.pro account issue? I can't complete the change of email address, and all the forum operations got blocked to me. Also, I couldn't email the admins. Although I might have given the impression that it worked, this topic haven't reached it's end. Waiting for another update, thanks.

This forum page 2 and beyond doesn't exhibit the further discussions. It gives Error 502.

Date 18/08/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: rebootPro Forum

If you email me or use the Contact Me form, I will give you nuno's email address.
Is the forum page 2 issue fixed now?

Date 02/08/2017

By Allen

Subject UEFI .imgPTN direct booting from menu

I want to UEFI boot from an .imgPTN file from E2B main menu (I removed Windows sub menu with your instructions) but I don't know how to do it. I can only boot from UEFI by switching partitions but with that i can't use the main menu (Only windows setup) which is i want to use. I will be glad if you help me.

Thank you.

Date 02/08/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: UEFI .imgPTN direct booting from menu

If it was possible to UEFI-boot to the E2B menu, I would have done it!
E2B uses grub4dos which cannot be UEFI-booted.
You may like to try the complex E2B Grub2 Menu system. This needs to be 'switched' too, but once switched you can MBR and UEFI-boot to many different linux payloads/ISOs. However, it does not support Windows ISOs/payloads.
If your main usage is for Windows and MBR\UEFI, you should try WinSetupFromUSB.
If you like it, you can make a .imgPTN file from a WInSetupFromUSB flash drive and add the image to your E2B USB drive. There is a page of instructions on this site.
Note that some 'buggy' BIOSes will not MBR-boot if there are valid UEFI-boot files on the drive. Also note that most UEFI-solutions use FAT32 which means you cannot have files >4gb.
Due to these limitations, E2B uses the partition-swap\Switch process. That way everything is kept separate but you can boot to 100's of different MBR and UEFI payloads on all types of systems.

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject WPI ISO

Hello i have downloaded WPI iso file how configure easy2boot to auto oper the WPI ISO?

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: WPI ISO

Can you give me a clue as to what WPI stands for?
Exact name of ISO? URL to download it from?

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: WPI ISO

here you go :
LINK REMOVED AS VIRUSES IN DOWNLOADS!

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

I think I found the torrent- will download...
But for most ISOs that are AIO's you make a FAT32 .imgPTN file using the MPI Tool Kit.

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

The ISO does not seem to be bootable.
Furthermore that URL is full of terrible malware\viruses\PUPs as .exe downloads!!!

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

but how can i install applications plus have universal Lan Drives that is possible?

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

E2B is a USB multiboot solution.
It allows you to boot a wide variety of different payloads.
I can only answer questions directly related to E2B.

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

my antivirus showing nothing

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

Clicking on the first utorrent button downloads minstall-by-andreyonohov-leha342-lite-v_09_05_2017-x86-x64-2017-rus.zip
This contains minstall-by-andreyonohov-leha342-lite-v_09_05_2017-x86-x64-2017-rus.exe
Which if you run it puts lots of malicious nasty things on your Windows drive and infects your system and browser! Also known as bitchkeyru_key.exe and steam_api64.exe
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d85e30bd9c24ee361adc1b517f9f28f2667981fe0e3506a2e69b06394bac1e32/analysis/1499882771/

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

sorry for the link i did bot know but when i download that iso file there was no .exe files((( but i have an .iso file that is not starting i just put it in main menu folder but cant run it,and for example i have a Folders and files that i need to be in E2B how can i create an iso file to run it from E2B?how to do it correctly?

Date 12/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

It is not a bootable ISO. It does not contain boot files. It cannot boot. I am not sure what the ISO is supposed to do? I know nothing about it. It is not my software.

Date 12/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

but if it will be bootable it will work yes?

Date 13/07/2017

By karencho

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WPI ISO

for example i have Programm folders ,and there is many sub folders like ,CD&DVD,Codecs and etc.... in this folders there are .exe instalations files that i need... plus there is an autorun.exe file that is runing the whole program to use that intalation .exe files what i should do to put them in E2B?

Date 01/07/2017

By Zachary Haynes

Subject Force make e2b to identify internal hdd

It may seem counter productive, but i would really like to make the first partition of my fixed internal drive an e2b drive. This would allow me to use a vhd for my primary os, and make restoration as simple as copying a file. I can't get the "make e2b drive" program to identify any internal disk as an option. Any suggestions? (Other than taking the disk out and attaching it to my usb dock)

Date 01/07/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Force make e2b to identify internal hdd

E2B is just a set of files.
You can make the internal hard disk boot to grub4dos by using RMPrepUSB - Install grub4dos.
Then extract all the E2B files to the first partition.
This will only work on FAT32 or NTFS volumes and only for MBR booting (not GPT disks or UEFI).
So I hope you know what you are doing or you could lose all your files!

Date 01/07/2017

By Zachary Haynes

Subject Re: Re: Force make e2b to identify internal hdd

That's why I love e2b... It takes all the guesswork out of the equation. Hd0 is currently blank and waiting for me to do something with it. I was just wondering if there was a line in one of the config files e2b uses that i could alter to make it identify fixed drives. Every time i have tried to manually configure boot loaders or grub i never seem to get it right.

Date 01/07/2017

By Zachary Haynes

Subject Re: Re: Force make e2b to identify internal hdd

Thank you!!! At first the program seemed a little daunting... but once I realized what I was doing...

Everything about the work you are doing (while possibly intimidating to the uninitiated) is with out a doubt the greatest thing since sliced bread! No more yumi, No more unetbootin, No more any other program. You sir, have made me appear much smarter than I actually am. Thank you for the work you have done!

Date 28/06/2017

By 7root

Subject Hide a switched imgPTN

Hi

The "Hide E2B Partition" script works great for me. For maximum privacy though, is it possible to hide a switched in patrition image? So that you can hide the new partition when a imgPTN file is being switched in? That'd be great

Date 28/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

If the .imgPTN is a FAT32 partition, you can add the following lines just below the set VER=0.076 line
# Hide this FAT32 partition from Windows
cat --locate=\x00\x00 --skip=0x2a --length=2 --replace=\xaa\xaa (hd0,0)+1
hide (hd0,0)

This will cause the FAT32 ptn to be hidden from windows but not from linux.
You need to boot to the CSM menu once so the code is run.

See http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/130 for more details

Date 29/06/2017

By 7root

Subject Re: Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

I found an even simpler solution to hide a switched in imgPTN from Windows (will still be visible to Grub4Dos and Linux): start diskmgmt.msc as admin and remove the drive letter!
Windows immediately unmounts the partition.
It works!

Date 29/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

No - all that does it makes a registry entry in YOUR Windows system. It has no effect if you plug the drive into a different system.

Date 30/06/2017

By 7root

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

Which was exactly what I was trying to achieve

Date 30/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

So you don't mind other people being able to see the partition!

Date 01/07/2017

By 7root

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

As long as it remains attached to my computer physically, they won't!

Date 02/07/2017

By lachance

Subject Re: Hide a switched imgPTN

Another way to do it is to "unswitch" (i.e. restore the e2b partition table) upon shutdown. That would make it impossible to access the files in your imgPTN since it restores e2b when you shut down your PC. I dont know how to implement this into e2b tho, probably u need to edit some file. Maybe @Steve can help here?

Date 05/06/2017

By JimmyK

Subject Boot options toggle

Hi
Great program - its so configurable its brilliant
I am trying to get my home PC to automatically boot between two options and it should choose the opposite choice from what was automatically chosen last time - ie a toggle. This should be totally automated and not require me to be at the boot screen (ie If I am in Windows I choose restart and it will via easy2boot - boot automatically into another environment).
So far I have got as far as getting it to the CSM menu which I am using with my image and menua defaulting it to choice 3 but as mentioned I want it so that because choice 3 was automatically chosen 3 last time, then next time I want F7 (HDD boot) to take place.
I thought I might be able to it by creating txt file and getting it to check for the existence of that txt file ie
(if exist lastchoice.txt then boot USB option 3,
del lastchoice.txt)
(if not exist lastchoice.txt then boot F7, create lastchoice.txt)
and so on - effectively making it boot into the CSM menu and choosing the opposite choice of what was automatically chosen last time.
Many thanks!

Date 05/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Boot options toggle

Do you really want a toggle or would you prefer to be able to boot or reboot into either OS?
What is Option 3 - I can't see your menu...
What OS is the HDD booting to and what is Option 3 booting to?

Date 05/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Boot options toggle

Set the default to boot to the Unraid entry
At the top of the \menu.lst (just under comments) use
find --devices=h /unraid.tag || map (hd0) (hd1) && map (hd1) (hd0) && map --hook && rootnoverify (hd0,0) && chainloader (hd0)0+2 && boot

This says - look for \unraid.tag on all hard drives (includes the USB) - if NOT found boot to internal HDD.

Create the \unraid.tag file using a batch file in Windows and create a script to delete the file in UnRaid to make it boot to Windows.

Date 18/05/2017

By ElMariachi

Subject Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml

Hello!
I am trying to make a working USB flash helper drive for installing Windows 10 for some hours now, but it won't work.
The drive is recognized properly, and Windows is trying to maker us of it, but then there's always the Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml error.
In your error messages collection I found this hint:
"check that the blank \AutoUnattend.xml and \Unattend.xml are at least as large as your original .xml file - if not you will need to make them larger! Check that no other drive contains these xml files in the root."
I tried increasing the size of the blank xml files to 2MegaByte, but it wouldn't help. And what do you mean by "original xml files"? I have no original xml files, I just want to plain install Windows 10.
Thank you in advance!

Date 18/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml

Did you follow the guide
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/how-to-make-a-helper-usb-flash-drive/
Make sure no other flash drive or CD is present in the system.
Does E2B say WinHelper drive was found and it is wiping it, just before E2B menu is displayed?
Is drive E: the correct USB drive (press SHIFT+F10 to get command console in Windows Setup).
Original files are the 100K ones in the WinHelper docs folder

Date 19/05/2017

By ElMariachi

Subject Re: Re: Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml

Hello!

I followed the instructions. I have tried multiple flash drives. A;; are of removable type. The path "E:" is correct. The xml files are the same as in helper directory, I have tried copying them over multiple times. Also I have tried FAT32 and NTFS.

Date 19/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml

When E2B boots, just before the Main menu loads, you should see a message that says
Wiping /AutoUnattend.xml and /Unattend.xml files on WINHELPER.USB
Do you see this when you boot to the E2B menu with the Helper USb drive also connected?
When do you see the E:\Unattend.xml message - after installation of Windows or before you can start the installation?
P.S. You can chat with me if the chat icon is displayed on website.

Date 10/06/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad or Invalid E:\Unattend.xml

Did you get this working?
What does 'A;; are of removable type' mean??
Did you format the WinHelper USb drive using RMPrepUSB?

Date 11/05/2017

By solstiv

Subject Unbootable ISOs

Hello there, I need to decide about proper extension for some ISOs I can't make booting from E2B -
- Acronis Backup 11 (unknown)
- DLC Boot 2016 (unknown)
- Macrium Reflect 7 rescue media (appears to be WinPE)
- SystemRescueCD x86 (unknown)

Also I want to ask how to remove default main menu entries which are related to E2B menu, such as fonts demo, change menu default, timeout etc., or move them all to submenu, so that at top level only appear direct choices for bootable ISOs.

Thanks!

Date 11/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Unbootable ISOs

Hi
You do not say what type of USB drive you have - Removable Flash drive or 'Fixed Disk' type?
E2B will usually suggest the best extension - did you turn this off? if so, press SCROLL LOCK before you select an ISO to see suggestions.
First search this page.
http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/list-of-tested-payload-files/
DLCD is a variant of Hirens so see
http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/hirens-isos
WinPE based ISOs may boot as .isoPE01 from a removable USB drive or convert to .imgPTN file.
SystemRescueCD.iso should just work.
If you ran PimpMyDrive.cmd then a \_ISO\MAINMENU\PIMP folder will have been created - delete any .mnu file in that folder you do not want.
Use
set DEFMENU=0 in \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file
to remove Set Timeout and defaults menu entry.
See http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/
To re-order menu entries, rename the payload and .mnu files in the menu folder.
If you have any specific issues with specific ISOs, please give details.
Remember that when you run E2B Update, the update process will copy the E2B files back, so if possible, use MyE2B.cfg settings or ADD extra files, but do not change existing files.

Date 11/05/2017

By solstiv

Subject Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

Firstly it's a removable drive.
As for DLC2016 I did already check suggestions at http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/hirens-isos/
.isowinvh seems work only for base Hiren's CD 15.2
.isowinvh seems work partially for Hiren's Boot DVD 15.2 Restored Edition 1.1 Proteus, only DOS utilities and no boot to Windows. i need a suggestion here too
DLCBoot2016 seems to fail with all suggested extensions <= suggestion here

SystemRescueCD and Macrium are sorted

Date 11/05/2017

By solstiv

Subject Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

Acronis Backup is also not fixed - kernel panic not syncing VFS
True Image 2017 ISO just boots fine as .isope

Date 11/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

Acronis Backup?? You mean Acronis True Image 2017? Works OK for me as .iso.
If it is linux based, then it should work.
Maybe there is a hardware compatibility issue?
Did you make the 32-bit version or 64-bit version?
If 32-bit you can try booting it using \QEMU_MENU_TEST.cmd in root of drive.

re. DLC - it says to use .isoHW

For some you may need to convert to .imgPTN. HBCD Proteus is listed on the page link I gave you as tested and working if you use .imgPTN.

Date 11/05/2017

By solstiv

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

About the Acronis
Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7.50064 Boot CD
there's a difference between TI and BA

the root structure is as

<boot.images>
<efi>
<Recovery Manager>
abr32ker.dat
abr32ram.dat
abr64ker.dat
abr64ram.dat
bootmenu.exe
bootmenu.xml
bootwiz.cfg
bootwiz.sys
C1.png
C2.png
cpp.so
dat4.dat
dat8.dat
fox.so
gen_boot.so
graphapi.so
icu38.so
icudt38.so
libc.so
libgcc_s.so
menulogo.png
mouse.com
osfiles.so
resource.so
sgn5.sgn
sgn9.sgn
SPL1.EXE
SPL5.EXE
threads.so

I have an additional question, if I want to preserve all the default e2b menu entries (Change font, boot to hd0 etc..) and move them to some 2nd level menu, what do I edit?

Date 11/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

They use bootwiz which seems to need a real CD.
You can convert to a .imgPTN file, but it will also need a special menu entry in the \menu.lst file which will need to be worked out
see http://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/boot-acronis-true-image-2017-ng-from.html
re. .mnu files. You can just copy them to any other standard menu folder, e.g. \_ISO\UTILITIES.
If you want to make a new sub-menu folder, then see http://www.easy2boot.com/configuring-e2b/add-a-new-menu-folder/

Date 12/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

I made a DLC 2016 3.2 ISO.
This seems to work well just as .iso

Date 12/05/2017

By solstiv

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

Thanks, I'll have look at Acronis forum.
Except DLC which won't boot for me as .ISO everything cleared.

Date 12/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

The first time I made the DLC2016 ISO it did not boot. I then used RMprepUSB - Ctrl+F11 (boot from ISO in QEMU) to test it and it reported a corrupted file. I then made the ISO again and that time it worked. So check your ISO actually works by booting directly from it in a VM.

Date 12/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

Acronis Backup
\menu.lst (inside .imgPTN file) - add to bottom of menu...

title Acronis Backup 11.7.50064 (32-bit)
kernel /abr32ker.dat product=bootagent media_for_windows vga=791 quiet
initrd /abr32ram.dat /dat4.dat
boot

title Acronis Backup 11.7.50064 (64-bit)
kernel /abr64ker.dat product=bootagent media_for_windows vga=791 quiet
initrd /abr64ram.dat /dat8.dat
boot

Date 12/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbootable ISOs

http://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/add-dlc-boot-2016-to-e2b.html

Date 10/05/2017

By Jonathan

Subject Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

I know you have the "prompt for faster boot option in the E2B.cfg...Wondering if there would be a way to have E2B detect if the machine is capable of running graphics/GFX mode or if it would be faster to use GFX=none. Either by checking date of machine make or cpu speed or ram size or other? Thoughts?

Date 10/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

You misunderstand.
Slow speed is due to slow USB access. This is caused by the BIOS having poor USB drivers (e.g. USB 1.0 or slow USB 2.0 drivers) and\or a slow USB drive.
The unifont font file (576Kb) is only used in graphics mode, it cannot be used in text mode. The wallpaper file (103k) cannot be used in text mode.
If we use text mode, then we don't have to load these files from a slow USB device, thus speeding up the boot process.
All systems with a USB port will be capable of 800x600x32 mode and any CPU will be fast enough.
We could run a speed test on the USB drive as it boots - but as this would take many seconds, there is no point!

Date 10/05/2017

By Jonathan

Subject Re: Re: Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

Let me try this example, perhaps I am still misunderstanding..

EX: I have a graphic interface and wallpaper with animated logo on my USB 3.0 E2B drive. I plug it into a very old machine that has usb 1.0 ports and or a bad bios, this takes significantly longer to load...

Could E2B detect a system like this, usb 1.0 or bad bios notification and automatically select text mode to boot E2B?

Thank you!!

Date 10/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

How could it detect such a system?
Can you detect such a system - if so how?

Date 10/05/2017

By Jonathan

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

I know you have the bad bios detection. But that doesnt mean it would be a slow usb drive. SO I guess our only options would be to test the usb port at boot and you are right at that point it would take too long! Trying to automate too much me thinks..hehe.. oh well. Thank you!!

Date 10/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto GFX=NONE and or Enable GFX mode depending on hardware/Resolution/Components

Exactly!
You can always try holding down the SHIFT key just before E2B boots to load the grub4dos USB 2 driver.

Date 07/05/2017

By christophe

Subject AHCI_XP_Z170

Hello, or put the AHCI files to be taken into account when installing xp on a z170 platform?
As are firadisk.
thank you

Date 07/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: AHCI_XP_Z170

Hi
Go to Alternate Download Area - Other Files and download DMZ170_DPMS2.zip. This is 32-bit drivers. Note that E2B does not support 64-bit XP DPMS drivers.
Read ReadMe.txt inside for instructions.

Date 03/05/2017

By Jonathan

Subject New Utliman hack and windows 10 ISO

A long time ago, windows 8 days. Someone was able to make a modified wim that was basically just the recovery portion of the win 8 installer. (the special reboot screen you get if you hold shift down on windows 8+) basically from there you could also run commands, .exes, portableapps, with the help of a little loader baked in. I have the wim if you would like to look. But I wonder if there could be a way to do this with windows 10 to use with utilihack so we dont need a full win 10 ISO to use?

Date 03/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: New Utliman hack and windows 10 ISO

Sure, just delete the \sources\Install.wim or .esd from a standard MS ISO and use it with E2B Removable flash drive.

Date 04/05/2017

By Jonathan

Subject Re: Re: New Utliman hack and windows 10 ISO

It worked! Downloaded the dual 32/64 bit version for MS media creator. Removed the .esd, file size is now 1gb iso. I am sure I can get it smaller with some more tinkering or gimagex... thank you!!!!

Date 04/05/2017

By SteveSi

Subject Re: Re: Re: New Utliman hack and windows 10 ISO

Why do you need a dual version? Just a 32-bit version will work.
Or if you have a WinPE ISO already, you could just boot to that and run the first .cmd file manually.

New comment

There is a LOT of information on this site which should cover all common questions and problems - please use the Site Map to find the page you need.

For specific problems, it is much easier for 1-to-1 communication to use the Contact Me form and I will reply via email.